Saturday, September 20, 2008

Our Guests

We have had some guests for the last month. We found little momma and little girl about a month ago in the pool room of our apartment complex. The baby was only about 2 weeks old when we brought them home. They were both dehydrated and starving. Little momma must not have left her baby to seek food and water and so she was not able to feed the baby very much. I brought them home because I thought they were only going to stay for a little while. I am such a softy when it comes to animals. I wish I could have a safe farm where I could rescue animals. But I have a 3 bedroom apartment.

Anyway, I was under the impression that a neighbor was going to take the cats to a no-kill shelter a few weeks ago. A month has passed and they are still staying with us. Unfortunately little momma does not want to get along with all of the other cats. I am trying to find a home for both of them and it is so hard. Many people think cats are kind of a disposable pet. When they get inconvenient then they can just be released and put outside. There are so many animals at shelters that some are having to turn people away. Rutherford county has so many animals that they almost euthanize immediately because they can not find homes for all of the animals.

I have spent the better part of this morning trying to find a no-kill shelter that has available space. So far no luck. It is really tearing me up. I know they can't stay here even though I would love them to, maybe if they got along. But even then the money situation and having 5 cats in such a small apartment is not really helping them. Sometimes I really get angry at the world, at the people that are so insensitive and uncaring about animals.

1 comment:

Diana said...

ahhh they are so sweet....
you have a bleeding heart for the poor babies.