Friday, September 19, 2008

Conference Happenings 2

Wednesday was an interesting day. We had a speaker at the luncheon. His name is Peter Irons. Mr. Irons is considered an American political activist, civil rights attorney, legal scholar, and professor of political science. He was asked by one of the judges to come and speak. I found him to be very intelligent, well spoken and knowledgeable. However, and this is my opinion, I also found him to be a tiny bit evil. Now this is only based on me listening to his speech at lunch. What research I did online has him as being very well educated and highly recognized. However, I have to say my first thought was evil. Not just misled but promoting evil. I would like to do further research and I am thinking about going to the library to read one of his books to see whether or not I was just overreacting. His topics and books seem to be highly thought of and usually have to do with court cases dealing with the separation of church and state.

His speech too was regarding the separation of church and state. He mentioned that he was a card carrying member of the ACLU and mentioned several of his books. One of which is "God on Trial: Dispatches from America's Religious Battlefields". His main goal in my opinion was to have the judges remember that church and state need to be separate and this was the goal of the "framing forefathers". He mentioned that actually non-Christians are the ones that are in the majority and Christians tend to try and make things go there way without the consideration of other groups. He also mentioned that history proves this. Which in certain past events have been the truth - witch hunts and the inquisition come to mind. He does bring in both sides and tries to make statements that show that he is not choosing a side and yet I clearly felt that he was very against religion and more so Christianity. If I hadn't had to stay because of work I would have walked out.

After the lunch I really had him in my mind for the rest of the afternoon. I couldn't even make any comments because the people around me kept saying how highly he was thought of as a speaker. To my shame I wanted to say something and I didn't. I work with and for some people that are very anti-religion. So I said nothing.

Later that afternoon I got a close up with him as he picked up his speaking fee and gathered around the registration desk to have a mini-conversation with a few judges who think his way. I really felt this presence of him working for the devil and just doing the ground work. Smooth intelligent talker that is pretending to be fair to both sides and is yet promoting an underlying evil.

Again, if you have read his books or have heard him speak and you like other people think that he is wonderful, I say I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. And since this is my blog and I am allowed to express my opinion, I thought I would.

No comments: