Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Beware!

Teenagers are moody. One minute they can be all smiles and then as if an internal switch has been turned they get pouty or angry then 5 minutes later they can be very sweet. It's hormones mixed with the urge to be grownup.

WARNING!! Living with a teenager can be messy! You could lose a hand people!

Just kidding, well sort of. Mine can turn on a dime. Things that were ok to say or do a few years ago may not go over so well now. Especially if the answer to the question is no. Then look out.

Take my weekend. Patrick was in his "I'm growing up so why can't I do certain things and you are such mean parents and why can't you leave me alone to do my own thing, yet I want stuff from you so I'll hang around until I get it and if I don't look out" stage. ALL weekend he acted so mature with on and off crankiness. So it caught me off guard when we were in Walmart and he starts rubbing his hands together to shock me. He thought this was the funniest thing. Him shocking me and me laughing and telling him to stop. Throughout Walmart he would sneak up on me and shock me and then laugh when I would swat at him to get away. It was like I had my boy back. He still looked like the young man that I am getting used to seeing but it was such a light time with the moodiness was gone. It was nice to share the silliness with a boy that I found out is the same height as I am right now.

Enjoying the moments, however brief they may be, is what growing up with a teenager means. And of course having the first aid ready when he bites the hand that feeds him.

1 comment:

Diana said...

What a great post!!!
I avoid the teenager in our house. I let his daddy handle the boy who is trying to emerge as a man...which I am so not ready for.

If we are allowed tocage wild animals then why can't we cage wild kids...