Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's a New Year


I've never been big on having resolutions. Each year I say I am not going to make any and YET, I make them. They are usually the same year after year. Lose weight, exercise more, eat healthy. Sometimes I add something more exciting like travel more or something similar, but inevitably it seems I never go very far with keeping them. So, a few years ago I told myself to stop making resolutions. Mainly because even though I did do some of them it wasn't a major change in anything. I haven't lost weight and I don't exercise more. I do eat better and I do travel more but that has to do more with my health and job than any resolution - they were something that were kind of forced upon me.


But still every year I think about it. I feel the need to do "The List". Something about a new year seems to bring out that "I need to make changes" feeling. I go over in my head what I could, should change and debate about doing "The List", but then that voice in the back of my head comes up with very good arguments as to why it would be a waste of time and who needs a list. Of course then the devils advocate voice pipes in and mentions how wonderful I am at making lists and how helpful they can be and wouldn't it be easier if I just wrote it all down.


Then of course the tangents hit and all I can think of is "it's crowded in there with all those voices and opinions" and "who would win the cage match - the first voice in my head or the devil's advocate voice in my head." Then I think how silly the whole thing is and try to focus on what I was originally thinking of and that brings me back to "The List". Maybe if I make it more fun and less predictable, I might have a chance of actually doing some of the things on "The List".


Ok - so here goes:


1. Spend less time in front of the tv and more time outside.


2. Spend more time with my friends.


3. Volunteer at church and other places more.


4. Live more and have less regrets.


I'll start with that and see what happens.

No comments: