Monday, January 14, 2008

Compromising

On the same subject as before, I still feel the need to think this through. I am outnumbered at my house right now. 2 Christians (1 who is impressionable) living with 3 non-Christians. Since I am gone most of the day because of work I am not around to make sure that my thoughts and wishes are being taken care of. I have to go on the hope that the other adults know what I want to be done and hope that they do it. Because apparently the other little Christian likes to get away with stuff because I'm not there.

I started last night trying not to compromise. There was a show on tv that we all really wanted to see. I gave it one shot and within 3 minutes I changed the channel because it failed the one strike and your off. It was hard because we all wanted to see it. So, Michael went in the bedroom to watch the show, while Patrick and I stayed in the living room watching Ninja Warrior. First step was ok, but I think I got off easy. I mean my child didn't complain much and another show was on to take the place of the one we didn't watch, so it was an easy first step. I'm aware enough that not all of the battles are going to be that easy.

Overall, society is against me. An example is last Friday we were watching Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 p.m. Now one would think that this is a family show and thus the commercials would be a little more discreet. Nope. Back to back commercials regarding an adult show where a woman says to her boyfriend "We've been seeing each other for awhile, I think it's time we have sex." While showing them partially naked and kissing. Next comes the commercial for the new show "How to look good naked". This commercial shows women in their underwear standing in front of a mirror or walking around with Carson Kressley. Tell me how this is family friendly. I'm sorry, I might be naive but I don't want my son looking at women in their underwear until his wedding night. Above all that, why are these commericals being shown during a family show! If it were later and it was one of the nightly shows where the show is PG or PG13/14 then I understand (I still don't approve, but I understand).

So this brings up the question, since it's hard to find a family friendly show that is not a cartoon (and then even the humor sometimes is suggestive), do I stop watching the show because the commercials are not family friendly and the network is getting away from family oriented shows or do I grasp the remote and change it every time a commercial or something else comes on that is objectionable. I have parental locks on almost every channel and on anything that is PG and up. Yet even then questionable things still pop up. It feels like the world is winning, which is so sad. How far is compromising? I mean sometimes I don't even know that I'm doing it. It seems to be an every day, every minute, every second struggle, evaluation. It's overwhelming. It's a war. Unfortunately I am out gunned and out manned and I feel like I am losing not only the battle but the war.

No comments: