Sunday, January 13, 2008

Compromise

The last few days this word has really been bothering me. It all started with listening to a series by John MacArthur called An Uncompromising Life. This series is based on the book of Daniel.

Daniel was uncompromising. The man stood his ground and followed his beliefs and faith no matter what. I admire that and in all honesty I thought I tried to do that in my own life. Now, I thought I compromised in certain situations where I thought I should and didn't think it was a big deal. But now it is just nagging at me.

I compromise regarding things that I didn't really know I was compromising with. Take movies and tv. I thought I was doing well. I research movies and tv shows and am picky about what I watch and what Patrick watches. But I do compromise and looking back it may not have been a good thing, thus the whole nagging feeling that has been around lately.

In the beginning of Daniel, after they have been taken to Persia, Daniel states that he will not eat or drink the kings food or wine. Now he compromised on receiving a new name and on learning what the Persians wanted him to learn but he wouldn't compromise on eating the King's food or wine. Why? Because that is the one thing that would be against his beliefs (law). It is more detailed than that and I suggest you listen to the series http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Grace_to_You/.

But going back to my nagging inner self. Guilt - I think that is what it really boils down to. I compromise on things that 1.) I don't know that I'm compromising on because I have taken on a worldly attitude and 2.) I compromise on things to avoid a struggle or conflict. But it comes down to me compromising on things that if I were a stronger person and had a stronger faith I would not. Things like tv shows, movies, music and I'm sure loads of other things.

As a Christian, child of God I should really analyze what I watch and listen to and allow myself to be around or party to. So that includes shows that I like and am going to miss when I say I won't watch. No more 3 strikes and it's off. It's one strike and the channel gets changed. I should be uncompromising. In situations when it is against my beliefs I should not compromise, yet when it agrees with the bible then it's ok. Well that sounds easy right?

Yeah not so much. The world and fleshiness get in the way. So the key is to keep the fleshiness away or at least in control. From a fleshy point of view that is going to be hard. Not to be whiney or anything, BUT, wah!

I can do this though. So it has begun.

No comments: