Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Conference Day 2

Well today was the setup, get everything ready, register people, have some sessions and listen to the complaints.

I actually had a good nights sleep, which is unusual on my first night at a conference and hotel. The bed is comfy and the pillows are nice. I got up at 6am (EST) and got ready. The shower lived up to my expectation. Water pressure was good which as you may know is very, very important at a conference.

Went downstairs at 7:30 and partaked of the free continental breakfast. Got to love free food. At 8am I went over to the room where the conference is going to be held. I set up the registration table and unloaded handouts and other things that the clerks might be interested in.

Registration began at 10am and that started what seemed like a never ending stream of people trying to get their packets and information. The first session began at 1pm and by that time I had handled complaints, rooms, vendors, breaks, av equipment, etc...

Introductions went well and we had a person from the department of tourism come and speak and welcome us to Gatlinburg. She left some interesting flyer's about all of the places to go and see downtown.

Sessions went well too. Unfortunately the air conditioning in the room was not working due to a storm last night - so the room was very very hot. Maintenance came several times and finally we were able to get a large fan and that helped a little. Hopefully they will be able to have it fixed before our tomorrow sessions. 300 hot and sweaty clerks means 300 cranky clerks.

We were able to fix the hospitality suite by removing the couch and putting in a table. Now there is room for seating as well as the food.

After our last session, me and Taylor (tech guy) talked about tomorrow and what we are going to need AV wise. After I got back to my room I decided to go out and check out downtown. I ended up walking 2 miles. I saw most of downtown and took some pictures, my batteries ran down though. And not just in the camera.

So I'm back in my room looking at all of the lights of downtown, hearing the screaming from the haunted house and the music from the different attractions.

First day of conference, second day of trip. Thank God it's time for bed. :-)

1 comment:

Diana said...

Hey,
Miss you...come home soon