Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pushing 40


Well, it is time to let the realization hit me. I am going to be 40. I'm not sure what 40 feels like, but I have to say I am not feeling it. Not that I'm upset over it or dwelling, but it seems like something that needs to be dealt with. Kind of like that moldy leftover food in the refrigerator.

My friend Cheryl turned 40 first (she's 3 months older than I am and I remind her every birthday). So, when my turn comes I will have someone to commiserate or celebrate with depending on how I take it when the time comes. The reason I say it like that is when I turned 30, I was depressed. It was hard for me to realize that I was at that age that I used to think was old and that I had not done many of the things that I had wanted to do by the time I reached 30. That reminds me I was going to stop making to do lists - well I guess forgetting things is the first stage.

Now don't get me wrong - I don't think I am a mass of decaying flesh that is just falling apart as I get older - of course now that I have said that it is going to be in my head for awhile. Anyway - I know that I am not as young as I used to be and am limited in what I can do and how long I do it. Of course the gray hair, that one little chin hair that is soooo annoying, the wrinkles around my eyes and mouth help with that I am getting older feeling. Yet I still get pimples every now and then. What's up with that!? Is that my body saying your old but yet your not old so don't get all worked up over it? Or is it just one of those things that are meant to keep us humble and have a sense of humor? I think it's both - I mean if you get older and don't have a sense of humor - well let's just say you'll be a very cranky, crabby person that the children on your street avoid at all costs (which if you think about it may or may not be a good idea - I'm on the fence about that one).

So, as I push 40 I guess I better get ready for all that comes and all that does not come with it. I'm not at that stage where I get to pay half price at movies or get a senior discount or social security or anything else like that. I'm in limbo. I'm at that age where I am too young to get any old people perks and too old to be considered young and hip (or funky fresh for you other old people). I am also at that stage where I seem to be looking back into the past and remembering more and more of the "good ol' days" and hoping as I go forward to have more "good ol' days".

One thing I know I am looking forward to is playing into the stereotype of the old person at times (not to often - cause well it might become a habit). I love the word whippersnapper and the stories of when gas was under a $1 and when I had to walk to school in a snow storm up hill both ways. Of course when I do that, if anyone hears any cracking noises or sees my teeth slip they need too just ignore it, pat my hand and nod their head at me like people usually do with old people. Oh and bring gifts, old people like gifts!

1 comment:

George Romano said...

Wendy,

Thanks for blazing the trail for the rest of us "younger" people.
Seriously, though, what you're saying does ring true. It seems like 30 was such a big deal when I was a teen, now, I'm thinking 60 is still young... lol.

I've accepted the fact that 40 is really close for me, but it's funny that now I look at people differently.

When I was younger, I used to look at people in their 20s and 30s as SOOO different and old, now, I can see people at any age and they all seem sort of equal.

BTW, I've given the gas was only 0.89 when I was started driving story to my kids. I rememeber saying, "I'm never gonna pay more than a dollar for gas. That's crazy."

Oh, and I AM funky fresh. Be nice to me or I'll chase you with my "Lark" :)

God bless,
George