Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hypocrits & Forgiveness - Part 2

Hypocrisy - The practice of expressing feelings, beliefs, or virtues one does not hold or possess.

Forgiveness - To excuse for a fault or offense. To renounce anger or resentment.

These are the dictionary definitions of hypocrisy and forgiveness. The bible also has several passages regarding hypocrisy and forgiveness. One should never be done and one should be done all of the time. To be honest at the weeks have passed I am more concerned with the latter. I need to forgive - that is more important than what I have perceived has been done to me. Matthew 6:14-15 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

It is hard to explain and hard to understand but we are not to judge other people if they have sinned against us we are supposed to forgive - even if it is up to 70 times 7.

What is ironic is that this whole thing has brought up other painful memories of other betrayals from family and friends. Which I think made me overreact - all that extra baggage from the past. But forgiveness goes with love which means that we are supposed to forgive and love people that hurt us. That is so easier said than done. What that means is that I have to show love and forgiveness not only to the people from my old Sunday school class but from my family as well. Insight and smack in your face reminders this past month have been really been well in my face.

So I have to give forgiveness. Oye conviction. This may take awhile - I have quite a few people to forgive between family and other people. I feel a personal journey coming on. Oye I hate self awareness. Well I guess personal journey here I come...

1 comment:

Diana said...

Wendy,

I sooo know what you mean. I had my email flooded with forgivness verses for weeks. If the loving God I serve can forgive me of all the things I do and don't know I do, then I can forgive those who I feel have wronged me, even if they don't believe or are unaware that it made me feel that way.
You can still show love, it just will always be a different kind of love.
I know this has challanged you and as far as I go it has changed me.
That darn conviction stuff...whew! it just kills me.
Your hurt, upset,and angry and that's OK because God already knows that. Remember that the forgivness is more for you than anyone else.
I learned that just a few hours prior to my trip. The bitterness eats at you. Lift the burden. You have already admitted to people that you are hurt and that's a step. Now admit to God that you need His help to love and forgive.
I love you girl!