Monday, September 10, 2007

Invisible Faith

In the business world, when you want to work with a client or a contractor, reputation is a key factor on who you choose. You may never have seen this company or person, but you've heard about them. Whether or not they have a good work ethic, how they handle their business, etc... If the information that you've heard about him/her has been favorable and they are highly recommended you will usually make that leap and hire them. It is a common business practice.

On the same note, only personally, if you've heard good things about someones friend or family member, you go into the relationship with a higher expectation that the person is what people say he/she is. In addition, if a meteorologist/weather person says that there is a 90% chance of rain, you can believe that it is going to rain somewhere in the zone that they say it is.

Taking it a step further, when a person breathes or feels a breeze - they don't question that there is air and that it is moving. We take for granted that there are molecules and other microscopic organisms running around us and yet we have never seen these organisms. We also take for granted our history. I have never met Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Ivan the Terrible or Michelangelo - yet I have been taught that they existed. As a reasonable person I am expected to believe that we were on the moon and that nothing happened at Roswell.

It comes down to faith. Who do we believe? Who do we trust? What do we put our faith into? Faith is defined as a confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea or thing. Faith is a belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

So, why is it so hard for people to have faith in a God that loves us, that created us? Why is it easy to believe that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland but not that a loving God came to earth and died for our sins so that we could be reunited with our Father? Why is it easier to believe that you can do a love spell on a person or that a horoscope says that I am going to be receiving money this week? Why is it so easy to have faith in flawed ideas and people and yet turn away from something that is so perfect and beautiful?

Is it so different to say that I believe that I am breathing a colorless, odorless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approx 78%) and oxygen (approx 21%) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, neon, helium and other gases than it is to say that I believe in a God that I feel but have never seem? I don't think so. I know each exist because I have faith. I know each exist even if you don't have faith. Proof of existence is not the most reliable way of deeming whether or not you should believe in something. It takes faith.

For those of you who need proof - you believe in the scientists when they describe what is in the air you breathe and yet you do not believe in scholars or other proof that Jesus and God exist. You are lacking in faith. Which in my opinion is a horrible way to live. I encourage you to take that step, research if you have to, but take that step. Even if it's a baby step, it is one step closer to something that is better than air.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I need to dip my donut in a little more faith today :)

I always love reading what you write. You ground me. You help center my thoughts on God, You are there when I need it, even when I don't know or think I need it.
I love you

Love Diana