Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ah Hah! Moments

Many people have had Ah Hah! moments. These are moments when mental focus is given and we see our life or the moment in such clarity that we just totally understand what is going on. These are those light bulb over your head moments. I have had several in my life. I believe all prodding me towards a certain path.

My first Ah Hah! moment was when I found out I was pregnant with Patrick. I knew I was pregnant even though every test said that I wasn't. I knew that I wanted to be a mom. It was one of those times that I knew without a shadow of a doubt that it was meant to be. I had such focus against obstacles that were put in my way. It was me against the world and I knew I was going to win.

The second Ah Hah! moment was when my mom died. She was my whole world, our relationship was so close that it was like losing a part of me when she died. As much as I love her and miss her - I have to say that it was the first step or push as I like to call it to go down the path that was meant for me. I needed to let go and do on my own. I needed to become an adult - even though I missed her terribly.

My third Ah Hah! moment was when I was in a very bad car accident. I came out of it with minor injuries. But when you are hit with a HUGE pick-up truck and it spins you around 180 degrees and you are told "if there had been a passenger in the back seat or in the front passenger seat they would probably have died" you tend to evaluate things in your life. Which is what I did. The wind had been knocked out of me and I was sitting in my car looking in the rear view mirror, because it had been moved so that it faced me. My first thought was that I was going to die - what I was doing was going into shock. I called upon God and asked that I not die. I hadn't talked or thought about God in years. My son was going to turn 3 and I so wanted to be there and see him grow up. I begged God to let me live. After the accident I changed my life completely because I knew that something was missing and I wanted to find it and I knew I had to do something to find what that something was. That led to my fourth Ah Hah! moment. The moment when I dropped to my knees - broken and crying I confessed and totally asked God into my life. Not really knowing what that actually meant.

Major Ah Hah! moments are not always drastic things that happen like a loved one dying or an accident. I think mine were because I am so stubborn and thick headed that God needed to really smack me upside the head. I've had smaller Ah Hah! moments too though. Little epiphanies that just bring the world more into focus. Sometimes if you slow down enough and just listen they will happen. Like getting up early in the morning and watching the sunrise or just on the way home while stuck in a traffic jam. Sometimes they start with slowing down and listening and sometimes they just are so impatient that they pop up when you least expect them.

I think everyone has these moments. The key is to recognize them. Listen to them. They are meant to change your life. Sometimes you have to just take that first step and be brave. Braver than you have ever had to be. Sometimes it's just something that you hold onto until the right moment happens. They are opportunities. A helping hand that appears when you have stumbled. Sometimes you are even that helping hand to someone that has an Ah Hah! moment. And if that is the case then you may be having another Ah Hah! moment yourself and not even know it.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Ahhh Ha! I knew you had those moments.
I think of moments in my life that were momentous and life changing, and that I didn't allways let God share them with me.
I have also had what some people would call moments that were lac lustre at best yet because God was in the lead they were Ahhh Ha! moments for me.
I believe that God has used times in your life to bring you closer to Him.
I know that God uses moments in my life to shape me or help me learn a lesson. Just when I think I got it figured out I have realized that sometimes the lesson wasn't at all for the person I thought it was, it was for the person I see in the mirror, and those are some tough moments.

thanks for sharing
Diana