Sunday, June 3, 2007

Pookie

Well today is the day. My little boy is 13 today. It is hard to believe that 13 years ago I gave birth to this boy that is sitting near me on the couch. This boy who is almost taller than I am, this boy who is starting 8th grade in August.

13 years ago I started to have pre-eclampsia and my doctor scheduled me to induce labor. I checked in to the hospital in the evening of June 1st and they woke me up at 6am on June 2nd to start giving me petocin to stimulate contractions. After 12 hours I still had only dilated about 1/2 an inch so the doctor broke my water. That didn't work so they upped the petocin. After they peeled me off the ceiling it was decided to go ahead and do a cesarean. They gave me an epidural and after I started to have uncontrollable shakes and started to throw up my doctor showed me this little white fuzzy little thing and told me it was my baby and it was a boy. After that I fell asleep (who wouldn't after 18 hours of labor). When I finally woke up and they brought me this little boy I fell totally in love. I felt something that was so new to me - I had overwhelming feelings of love, protectiveness and I was scared beyond belief.

Through the years this has never waived. Trust me, this boy has brought out feelings in me that I never thought were possible. I have been angry beyond what I thought I was capable of, I have been disappointed and even hurt - not to mention the pride and joy. Through all this, I love this boy with all of my heart and I so want what is best for him. He has grown up so fast and has been a challenge sometimes and an absolute joy other times. Even though he has reached the teenage years and I miss the baby years sometimes - I look forward to see this boy become a man. He is so full of love, compassion, empathy and humor. It is with much love and pride that I look at him and see my influence and know that there will be hard times to come, nights when I won't be able to go to sleep and times when I will want to cry, days & nights when I will pray unceasingly - and yet I know this boy is becoming a man and I played a part in that happening. I give him over to the Lord knowing that whatever happens, happens for a reason.

My boy is 13 today. Happy Birthday Patrick!

I love you with all of my heart, Mom

1 comment:

Diana said...

Wendy,

What an incredible journey it has been.
Our lives in some ways connect and I totally feel the same way. Although I did have L&D far easier than you, the out come the same. They hand you this baby and setyou off in a few days and say here you go, congrats! You are a family. HUH! Where are the instructions, you do know that this is the first time this has ever happened to me. And as you leave the hospital you say ok we are putting hiim in the car and driving away with him, and they wave buh bye now. What is that about.
We have been thru the worst and best with these first born heirs to this throne called manhood, what lies ahead is going to chalange us like nevr before.
I honor you, you are a hero to me.
I still am ok with mine chasing a football LOL
With all our love Welcome to teenville... By the way as you say " nothin but love for ya" LOL