Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Games

Past: Remember Dodge Ball? I loved this game. I was rarely picked first, but never picked last. I was a good player, team player. I also loved to play field hockey. I was the goalie on my Elementary Schools team. We made it to the county finals in my last year at school. The team played wonderful together, but the other team was better. The camaraderie, teamwork and friendships were awesome.

Present: I am so angry and hurt, that I am having trouble forming the words. Over the years I have been hurt by many people: family, friends, co-workers, etc... Over the years I have learned to hold myself back because of all these hurts. Several of these hurts have come from people claiming to be Christians. I have learned that we are our own worst enemies. It's not the news, terrorists or any other factor - it is Christians deceiving and hurting other Christians. Where we should be an example to other people we are failing miserably. I have had better and more loyal friends in people who are non-Christian than Church going Christians. I have had more Christians judge me for things that I know nothing about or even just dismiss me for whatever reason that they have.

Within the last few years I have been going to a church that reminds me of high school. There are more cliques in this church than the high school I used to go to. If you do not fall within a certain clique (stay at home mom, mother of younger children, live a certain way, etc...) it is hard to find a place. I never feel more out of place than when I go to this church. High school was comfortable compared to this group. When I go I feel so out of place - like a visitor to a foreign country. The locals all know the dialect and customs and history and I am just visiting.

In all fairness I did not go as often as I would have liked. Partly because of the Fibro and partly because it seemed so hard to fit in. It always seemed like I wasn't a part of anything, I wanted to, but I always got the feeling that I didn't really belong. I was part of a group where only a few people acted liked they cared about me. I'm not sure if it is something that I have done or haven't done. I would be asked to go to someones house as part of the group for some function - but most of the time it was awkward to go without my husband. Awkward to go when almost everyone else was partnered off. Maybe because I didn't go that often they didn't want to get to know me. Not sure. All I know is that it is over and not one person has called or emailed me to let me know what is going on or anything else. I am part of the mass email that references changes and other things - but does anyone talk to me or ask me? The answer is No. I am left on the wayside.

Future: I wonder though how many other people in this group feel the same way. How many others are not in the cliques? How many other people have been forgotten and pushed to the side? Will we be able to find a place where we are taken for who we are and not have to conform to a group norm? Do we have to have all of this drama in church?

Either way - I think it is time to move on. This game is over and I really don't want to play anymore. I need something more challenging and more of a team. I need something that feels honest and not superficial. I need something more.

So - Game Over. Called on account of bad weather.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!
Sometimes honesty kills you.
I do think you said it best to me the other day when what I said caused you to almost go Irish on me. LOL

Sometimes I go through my life with my eyes wide shut. Lately my eyes are slowly opening. I can still remember when you first came and man we wanted to sell that church to you hook, line, and sinker. Sadly we got stuck wading in the water for the tide to change. That never happened. I am so sad and sorry that you are hurt over all this. Have no fear God will find a place for all of us who are displaced. God will heal our hearts to. Remember you are not alone in these thoughts.

PS: I was always the last one picked LOL

Wendy said...

I love when the irish comes out. Doesn't happen often but look out when it does. I hope you weren't offended - i meant it with love and friendship.

~Wendy

ksim said...

Hey Girl,

I am sorry I have not reached out to you more. I guess God is telling me to leave my comfort zone.

You are loved and people do care about you.

Kim

Wendy said...

KSIM I wasn't talking about you. You have been one of the few that have reached out. And trust me I know about that comfort zone. Mine has pillows, tv and chocolate - sometimes I never want to leave it. :-)