Monday, May 21, 2007

Lost

When a child is lost, the first thing they do, before they cry, is to look around for their parent. They may wander aimlessly searching. They may even accidentally find their mom or dad or get help from a kind hearted stranger. Unfortunately a few are led away.

Some adults are lost as well. Some may find their way accidentally after wandering around for years. They wait for a kind person to help them but end up finding the way - as if miraculously. Others may not even know they are lost. Some may feel lost but cling to the first thing they see that will comfort them. They are impatient and want to be comforted by anything and everything. Drugs, sex, TV, work, hobbies, etc...

The ones that are helped by that kind person actually find that true comfort & peace when they find their Father. But, even more are led away. Sometimes they never hear about their Father or hear it just in passing. Some want to believe but find it hard to trust and hard to believe. They have been lost for so long that taking that first step is like taking a step off a building. They don't see the hand that is there to catch them, to hold them, to comfort them. It is a matter of trust and when you are lost that is hard to come by.

I was lost. I was in a pit. I had to get to the bottom of the pit before I started to ask questions about getting out of the pit - I was (and am) that stubborn. I wanted out of that pit in the worst way, but was scared to take that first step. The pit was awful but it was all I knew. In a weird way it was comforting, like a blanket, it was there all the time, I could count on it. I could see the light, but it just seemed so unreal, like a mirage. I started slow. I asked questions of a co-worker and listened to other people. I was invited to a single parent day at a church. No pressure regarding religion it was totally on helping the single parent. They had money classes, parenting classes, free daycare and lunch where other single parents shared their hardship and their salvation. It was one woman in particular that reached out a hand with out even knowing it. She shared how her life had been, how she had slept around, done drugs, had two children in the middle of all of this and then had met her husband. How he had shared his faith and love of God with her and wanted her to know that their was a love so deep that would forgive her of all of her sins and make her pure again. I didn't identify with her story we were very different and had taken different paths, but the sincerity and love in her voice when she spoke of Jesus and God so touched my heart. I couldn't go to the afternoon classes because I couldn't stop crying. I went home and cried my heart out that afternoon - without knowing it I prayed the sinners prayer. I can't explain how it felt to have that burden lift off of me. It was gone. I had such peace that I had never felt before. I was truly changed inside. It wasn't all easy - the people around me wanted me to be who I was before and I just couldn't go back. I didn't want to go back.

I am not perfect, far from it. I still get angry and I still make mistakes. The mistakes are not as bad as they once were and I owe that to my God, My Father. I know that I am loved, that I can come to him at anytime and confess my sins and ask for forgiveness. He will always listen, he will always care, he will always love me, he will always be there for me. For that unconditional love I want to be good, I want to be what he wants me to be. I am no longer lost, I found my Father and he holds on to me and will never let me be lost again. No fear, no pain, no loss ever again.

Matthew 18:14 "In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost."

You are a little one to him, you are his child and he does not want you to be lost. He sees you and calls to you, follow his voice and you shall be found. You will find peace, comfort and salvation from a loving Father. Just answer.

1 comment:

George Romano said...

Very nice, Wendy. You draw the picture of what life's like before coming to Christ. I don't know if I've ever heard your testimony before, so thank you for sharing it!

It reminds me of the chorus of a song...

"So come home running
His arms are open wide
His name is Jesus
He understands
He is the answer
You are looking for
So come home running
Just as you are"