Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wheels Turning

I am in a hotel room in the middle of nowhere. Well technically I am somewhere. I am in Somerville, TN - which is a little northeast of Memphis. We have 2 trainings tomorrow and I am weary just thinking about them. Over the next month we are going to be having a total of 7 trainings - this is only 2 of the 7. Next week we will be in Jackson, then we will be in Cookeville and then we will be in Memphis for 2 days.

I used to love to drive. I got my learners permit the day after I turned 15. It was something that I so looked forward to. My mom and I used to travel every year to visit my brother in FL or visit her sister in NJ. I remember those trips with such love. I could get every truck driver to honk from NY to FL. Well when I was awake. We would leave at like 4 in the morning to get an early start. I'd fall back asleep as soon as we were on our way. I would wake up on our way out of NY and play with my dolls or read or color. I used to love looking at the scenery and all the places that were on the side of the road. Sometimes we would take back roads just to see all the different things - like fruit stands or mom/pop diners or just the strange touristy things that used to be on those back roads.

When I started to drive it was such a thrill because I thought of doing all those things with my children and just going. Anywhere, anyplace - just go. I have done that a little bit but it seems to be such a chore now. There is not much thrill anymore. I drive on these trips and I am so stressed by traffic and all those big rigs that are driving WAY to fast and all those people that are in such a hurry that they have to tailgate. It just stresses me.

I do try to look around and see the scenery but everything seems to be going away. Not to many mom/pop places or corny tourist attractions on the side of the road. It's sad really. Everyone has somewhere to go and that is what they do. They go from A to B to C and back to A again. No detours, no surprise stops, go in a straight line - just get where your going. And what is really sad is that I have become one of them. I don't take back roads in fear of having an accident or having car problems or getting lost or taking to much time. Like the song says "Life is a Highway".

Part of me wants it to be a back road though. Slower than 70, calmer, winding, less traffic. More stops - not just one continual journey. But, I have to make that choice and take control of the wheel and make it go where I want it to go. I think highways are inevitable but back roads are the actual journey that makes the whole trip worthwhile. Not only in driving but in life as well.

No comments: