Sunday, February 6, 2011

Next - Simple Cheese Lasagna

I usually only make lasagna once, maybe twice a year. I don't know why - but that is how it is. I was just in the mood for it yesterday so I went through my cooking box and there it was. It was good, except I think I used WAY to much basil. I bought the basil in the tube (brilliant idea by the way) instead of fresh. Reason - my food processor has problem in chopping herbs (basil, parsley, etc...) And I put in the same amount that the recipe called for and it was way to much. So next time I will either use fresh or way less of the tube. As a side note - it tastes better today than it did last night. The basil mellowed a little so it didn't taste as strong as it did last night.

I also ended up doing 4 layers in stead of the three. I had a lot of the filling mixture and it worked well for me. But, I think it was because the ready-oven noodles were smaller than normal lasagna noodles. Other than that it wasn't to bad. I just know now to tweak it next time I make it and I have made notes on the sheet. So in the cookbook it goes.

Simple Cheese Lasagna

Serves 6 to 8

Our Chunky Tomato Sauce for Lasagna (see related recipe) tastes better than jarred sauce, but if using jarred sauce (tomato only) is more convenient, you will need about two 24- to 26-ounce jars.

15 ounces ricotta cheese (1 3/4 cups)
2 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , grated (1 1/4 cups)-
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
1 large egg , lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups tomato sauce (see note above)
12 no-boil lasagna noodles (one 8-or 9-ounce package)
1 pound whole milk mozzarella , shredded (4 cups)

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the Parmesan, the basil, egg, salt, and pepper until well combined.

2. Following the photos, spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place 3 of the noodles on top of the sauce and drop 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture down the center of each noodle, then spread it to an even thickness. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the sauce evenly over the cheese. Repeat this layering two more times.

3. For the final layer, place the 3 remaining noodles on top. Spread the remaining 1 1/4 cups sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and then the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Spray a large sheet of foil lightly with vegetable oil spray and cover the lasagna. Bake for 15 minutes.

4. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is browned and the sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: