Monday, February 21, 2011

A Maybe

So, once again I went to the box.  This time it was Pork Chop & Spanish Rice Bake.  I was looking forward to this one because I love pork chops.  Not as much as chicken, but it is a close second.  My only problem this time was that it was only going to be me and my husband for dinner.  The boys had other plans and were gone for most of the weekend.  So, my only test subject was a man who is not so fond of pork.

This is one of those Campbell soup one pot recipes which are really nice on an evening when you get home late and don't want to eat at 8 p.m.  My one suggestion is don't add the corn until last and mix everything together well before you add the corn.  This way the spices are not just sitting on top when you put the pork chops on.  I changed the directions below to reflect that.

The boys did come home later that evening and ate some.  So I did get a family result.  I was not that keen on it, the hubby and one boy liked it and the other boy liked the meat part but not the rice part.  I think I might make this again, but I don't think it is cookbook worthy.  Anyway, here's the recipe~

Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbells Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup water
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
3/4 cup uncooked regular long grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4 inch thick

Directions:
Stir the soup, water, onion powder, black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the thyme in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.  Add the corn and mix in.  Top with the pork.  Sprinkle the pork with additional black pepper and the remaining thyme.  Cover the baking dish.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the pork is cooked through and the rice is tender.

Recipe note:  For saucier rice, increase the water to 1-1/3 cups.

ENJOY!

No comments: