Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Invisible Bumps

Have you ever been walking and just tripped? Nothing was there, you basically tripped on air. I just did it this morning as I was walking to the mailroom. Nothing there but me and my trippy little self.

It happens - I walk and I walk and then all of a sudden a stumble. Now sometimes there is something there - don't go thinking I'm a clutz (be nice Diana). But sometimes there doesn't seem to be anything there. Doesn't matter what shoes I'm wearing or where I'm walking. Sometimes I think air gets chunky in some places and you just trip - but that's another blog and another tangent.

Where am I going with this (Oh - I am going somewhere and here it is). Life is like that. Well my life anyway. I go walking along and then stumble. What keeps me from totally falling on my face or butt is my faith. I try very hard to keep God on that path so if I do stumble I have him there to catch me or set me right side up. For instance, I haven't been to church in awhile and I miss it. I miss the heartfelt singing, hearing the word and the fellowship. That is one of my bumps in the road right now. I don't have a reliable car to get me there and back. But I have been feeling so close to God lately that I know that he understands that I worship him wherever I am throughout the day. Home, work or bus.

Riding the bus has been one of my bumps too and yet has helped me spend more time with God. I could nap, crochet, read or do something else on the bus (and some days I do). But more often than not I can close my eyes and pray and just talk with God about life, family or whatever pops into my head (and if you know me then you know lots of things just pop in my head). Some days that is 2 hours of just quality time with God. It can be very freeing and sometimes it can be very emotional (wiping tears away on the bus is a little embarrassing-but when you gotta-you gotta). Lately, I've been looking at my being car-less as one of those lesson thingies that seem to come up every now and then. I figure when I learn whatever it is I am supposed to learn I will get my car back. So far I think I might need a tutor to help me with this lesson - cause to me it is taking FOREVER! But then again time is not the same for us and meanwhile I am spending time with God. Now why didn't I just do that when I drove? Well one, I really can't just close my eyes when I am driving and two I focused on listening to radio programs or music. On the bus I am sometimes forced into inactivity because we are just little blobs of humanness that are all stuck together in a cramped little space rolling down the road at about 50 mph (70 on the highway).

Basically riding the bus has made me take that time that I should have taken to begin with. Sometimes it takes a large smack to get my attention. Riding the bus I'm in a confined space and not much world to interfere. We've had some good talks, God and I. I'm glad he is a GREAT listener - because some days I can be very chatty.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Sometimes God humors Himself by thinking of ways to get our attention...don't ya think.

What an awesome way to spen theride home. Talking to God can be so humbling and powerful at the same time. So more power to you girl.

btw...I trip on little bumps too, but most people tell me it is called tripping over my own feet.

Wendy said...

No it's not you it's chunky air. Really the molecules gang up in certain areas around the ground and that is what makes you trip.