Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Public Transportation

I have started to ride the Park & Ride. I have to get up a half hour earlier so that I can get to the pick up site and get in line to wait for the bus. Yes, I said wait in line. I get there about 20 minutes before the bus arrives and already there are about 10 people in line. The reason is so you can guarantee that you have a seat and won't have to stand the whole way. Which I did on way home on the first day I rode (and it wasn't pretty - 45 minutes on a bus that stopped and started and broke quickly and sped - I was a wreck).

Main thought #1. Public transportation wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so public. I am the first to admit that I am spoiled in driving to work. I can leave when I want, listen to what I want and am comfortable as I am driving. I don't have to listen to other people complain, I don't have to be careful not to move to much to annoy the person next to me and I don't put my life in someone elses hands as he speeds down the highway.

Second thought. I think people would be more concerned about the environment if it wasn't such a pain to be a conservationist. It's hard to see the plus side of saving the environment by all of us not driving when I am sitting next to someone who needs a shower and a breath mint.

To be honest I am not really putting up with all this for the environment. I'm doing it to save on gas and wear & tear on my car. I admit it - I'm doing it for selfish reasons. The plus side is that I am also helping the environment. Which if you listen to the news is what everyone should be concerned about. (Tangent: I'll worry about the environment after I know that my bills are paid and that my family is safe.)

Anyway, if we are strongly encouraged to take public transportation, why is the transit authority getting rid of routes and reducing their force. More and more people are taking public transportation because of gas prices, so buses are overcrowded (we had 15 people standing the whole route this morning). So again the business mentality is to cut routes and buses. I just don't get it. But then again I don't get the fact that gas is almost $4.00 a gallon.

So it comes down to what is more important to me. Saving money so that I can pay my bills (which have also skyrocketed) and give up some personal space and comfort OR spend $50 a week on gas and be able to sing to the radio.

Oooo - tough call!

No comments: