Monday, July 7, 2008

The Corporate World

The corporate world is an amazing place. Full of dreams, fantasy and unrealistic ideas. I'm not sure what happens once regular people start working in a business environment. Some people just seem to lose their minds completely, some dwell between reality and fantasy and others, well others become just plain weird.

Take my office for instance. We were once normal everyday happy people. And on some days you can even get a glimpse of what we were like when we were not shoved into offices and cubes and made to dance at the whim of some maniacal dictator (usually those days are Friday after lunch).

Ok, maniacal dictator may be too strong (maybe), but there is truth in that statement. You get a whole bunch of people together and put a few in charge and BAM things are bound to change (not necessarily for the better). Things happen to people. I'm not sure if it's the brainstorming sessions, the unrealistic deadlines, the endless meeetings or what, but people stop thinking normal and start thinking "corporate". It's quite scary.

Again, take my office (please...) . In my department we have 3 people that handle all of the conferences. One of these people has decided to leave and go back to school (to be a lawyer of all things). Now a normal person (people) would hire someone to take that persons place. Hah - wrong. The business people have decided to divide that persons work out to the remaining 2 people. With no incentive like more money or anything else. The perks are that you get more work, more travel, less time for yourself and your family, and you might get a thank you, but only if you are a really good girl.

Now that's not the insane part. What's insane is that the 2 remaining workers are going to do it with a minimum amount of fuss. Can you believe it? I mean when did 2 starting equalling 3. It must be business math. OR there has to be something in the water cooler or in that coffee that is supplied so readily.

Anyway, it's just another day in the corporate world. Where good ideas go bad and bad ideas run rampant. However, if I start hearing "Join Us, Join Us" and people start walking around with glassy eyes and are drooling - well then I think I might ... well at the very least I'll shut my door. After all there is only so much one person can take.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Let me splain...no that takes too long, I'll sum up. Your right! It is in the coffee. Which incidentally, the water they use to make that coffee comes from the water cooler where everyone gathers to talk about the long meetings about why they should have taken business math because geometry has done nothing for them but put them in a 6x6 cube with no window that the higher ups lovingly call an office and see as a cell in hell.

Diana

Wendy said...

EXACTLY! I have a lovely corner office (I mean cubicle)- I'm even lucky enough to have a window. Which is why they gave me more work - it balances out somehow. Again that business math that I should have taken instead of that geomotry that only tells me that my cubicle is at a 90 degree right angle.