Saturday, April 19, 2008

Can I?

I have a spaghetti sauce recipe that is very old that I have tweaked to make my own. I decided to make the homemade sauce to part of lasagna that I was making that night. Since I have been wanting to learn how to can, I figured this was as good a time as any. I would have extra sauce and I wanted to keep it for awhile for future meals. So I decided to begin my canning experience. I bought the jars and the utensils and made my sauce. I am so excited to know that not only did I make homemade sauce but I canned it as well. This might be silly but I feel like little miss suzie homemaker now. I love all the homemaker stuff. If I could I would be a stay at home mom and homemaker. I settle for weekend Mrs. Cleaver moments.

Anyway, I thought I would start sharing some of my recipes as part of my suzie homemaker moments. So I will start with the sauce.

First assemble all ingredients and utensils.

1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot finely grated
olive oil
2 (18 oz) cans of tomato paste
2 cans full of water from the tomato paste cans
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (29 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbls. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
2 Tbls. oregano
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (I use Kraft grated)
homemade meatballs

1. Make meatballs. Set aside.

2. Saute onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil. Add carrot. Saute until tender, do not brown.

3. Combine tomato paste, water, sauce, and crushed tomatoes in a large roasting pan. Add salt, pepper and oregano. Using a whisk, make sure everything is mixed together.

4. Add sauteed onion, garlic and carrot mixture to sauce. Mix well.

5. Add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Whisk gently.

6. Place meatballs in sauce. Gently push them into the sauce until they are covered.

7. Cover the roasting pan, and bake at 3oo degrees for 3-4 hours.

Please try it!!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Cooking and canning woohoo!
You might just be learning yourself to be like real country folk.