Tuesday, November 20, 2007

All who are weary

As I was driving home last night I was thinking about Thanksgiving and thinking about what we needed when I drove by a homeless man on the side of the road. He was just sitting there near the underpass with a grocery cart full of this belongings. As I passed, even in that short time span, I felt time stop and I could see every detail of his face and his belongings. He was an older man with very soft, yet sad eyes. I instantly felt somber and thought, even if I do not have a traditional Thanksgiving, this man may not even have a place to sleep or food to eat. Even though I just passed him on the street instantly I kept thinking about him all the way home and into the evening. I could see his face and it just burned inside of me that I needed to do something.

We live in a society that has such wealth and excess, that it is sometimes hard to fathom that there are people out there that have nothing but what they have on or what they can carry. Even though I have been to points in my life where I was afraid that I would not have enough food to eat or a place to live - I was fortunate enough to never end up on the street. This man, these people were not as fortunate. We live in a country where on each corner is a McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc... and yet we have people that are starving. We have houses being built all around, new development everywhere and yet we have people that are homeless. We have numerous churches in every town, city and state and yet there are people out there that feel so helpless and worthless that are ignored, abused because they are less fortunate than we ware. It truly saddens me to think that this Thanksgiving and Christmas that there are people out there that have so little to be thankful for. Not just this time of year but all year round.

It saddens me that even with the auctions, collections, donations, that there are still people out there that will do without. The need is so much greater than the response. The pain, the suffering seems out of control. People are being displaced due to natural disasters, lay-offs, overall money problems, health issues. Why does it seem so hopeless, that things are just not getting better? I want to help them all, each one on the side of the road that wanders in search of food, shelter and some compassion and hope. I want to be able to save them all and yet I know that I can't.

But I know who can and I do have hope. My only recourse is to go and look, learn and take to heart what I read.

Matthew 9:35-37 (New King James Version)
Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.

1 Corinthians 15:56-58 (New King James Version)
The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Galatians 6:8-10 (New King James Version)
For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

No comments: