Friday, November 21, 2008

Hooked

I’ve been crocheting for over 15 years and knitting less than a year and have completed many projects. Of course it has never been deadline driven and has been at my own pace. In September I began to crochet and knit scarves that I could sell. I have made 12 so far (sold two-thanks for asking). I also made 2 birthday gifts for co-workers. Right now I have plans to make a Vanderbilt blanket, a purple blanket, a shawl, 2 scarves, a sweater and a wrap. This list does not include all the other things that I would like to make.

Yes, I have patterns galore and maybe I need to put them together in a box or something so that they are not just around the house. And maybe I have some yarn leftovers that I should probably give away or something. Ok, maybe I have a lot of yarn.

But I can stop anytime. I don’t have to crochet or knit. I can do other things. It’s not like I have to crochet/knit when I’m watching TV or on the bus or at lunch. Really I can stop.

Ok, yes it is relaxing and I may even release some chemicals into my system that give me a quick high and yes maybe I do tend to have yarn on my mind a lot. But really I can quit anytime. I CAN sit in a chair for minutes and not do anything with my hands – really. Just because I pick up a hook and yarn whenever I am sitting does not really mean anything. Just because I put everything else on hold until I finish a row does not really mean anything.

Hey! Are you looking at my yarn? Are YOU looking at MY Yarn!? Back away slowly and no-one gets hurt. My yarn.

But seriously I can stop anytime…. Just not right now.

Habit: a constant, often unconscious inclination to perform an act acquired through its frequent repetition.

Addict: to devote or give (oneself) habitually or compulsively.

No comments: