Saturday, May 10, 2008

Remembering Mom


Many memories that I have of my mom include food references. Snickerdoodles at Christmas, homemade chocolate figures at Easter, spaghetti and eggs, Chicken Caccitoiri. These are things that my mom used to make, so of course I think of her when I eat them.

But, I have to say that the main food item that I relate to her is Chinese food. I remember one Easter, I think I was about 8 or 9, we went into New York City to go to the Ringling Brothers Barnum Bailey Circus. We took the subway into the city and went to Madison Square Garden. After the circus we went into China town and went upstairs to a very nice Chinese restaurant. For the very first time I had Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.

After that whenever we visited my brother in Florida or we would visit my godfather, Roberto, we always went to get Chinese takeout. My mom and I always got Shrimp with Lobster Sauce. Even after we moved to Florida, whenever we had Chinese food, we would have Shrimp with Lobster Sauce. It was my mom's favorite thing and the only thing she ordered. And to be honest I don't think I even realized that there was anything else on the menu.

As I got older and after she died I started branching out into other parts of the menu. I found out that I love Honey Garlic Chicken, General Tso Chicken, Lo Mein, Sesame Chicken, etc... On my part, I think Patrick will have good memories about Honey Garlic Chicken.

It's been awhile since I've had Shrimp with Lobster Sauce. But when I do, I think back on the good times my mom and I had, the conversations, the closeness we shared, all over Chinese food. It's not necessarily the food that strikes the cord in me, it's the memories. With such good memories, the food is actually secondary. Truly one of my comfort foods is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.

Some memories can be quite delicious. Especially when I remember my mom.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Thank you for taking us down memory lane. I never met your mom however, I think she would be very proud of the woman you are and even more proud of the mom you became.
Love Diana