Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fingerprints

Before I started my first year in college, I worked at a daycare center. I had to get fingerprinted so that I could work with children. When I began to student teach I had to be fingerprinted again. My fingerprints became part of my record that any law enforcement agency could access. When I first became a parent there were always booths or flyer's about getting your child fingerprinted to have them on record in case something happened. Often I see on those reality crime shows, how sometimes it's a fingerprint (whether full or partial) that points to the culprit.

The interesting thing to me about fingerprints is that no-one has the same pattern, not even identical twins. It amazes me how swirly, different and utterly unique fingerprints are. Like many people I only think about fingerprints when it comes to crimes or leaving them on the wall or some other surface that needs to be cleaned. But, the other day I heard this song on the radio about God's fingerprints and it made me think a little different.

We are totally covered in God's fingerprints. Inside and out. He has touched each of us whether we realize it or not. I was thinking that the heart would have the most fingerprints. Like when we touch silly putty or paint. Only these prints wouldn't slowly fade away - they would be there forever. People who can not believe or see God have those fingerprints and don't know it, don't feel it - it is such a shame. Over the past few days I have stopped to visualize several times about seeing fingerprints on my heart - when I look they are there like on the silly putty, but when I don't look they seem to disappear. But I know they are still there, even though I can not see them. I feel them.

It's a personal touch that I know my Lord has graced me with. Everything about me personally, mentally and physically my God has touched. Not a rough touch, not grabbed, but lovingly caressed. And since we are such an in-sight, visual, I have to see it to believe it people - I think this inner picture is missed most of the time. We just go about daily existing and not reaching or searching for our Father. We are such a limited people that we sometimes can not grasp something that is so easy to understand. We are NOT alone, we are NOT forsaken, we are NOT an accident. We are children of a living, loving God. "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful , I know that full well." Psalms 139:14.

Thank you Lord, for touching me personally. For loving me so much that you touch me every day. Thank you for the awareness and insight to see that I am so truly blessed to be a child of God.

No comments: